Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Day 5; The Thomas Jefferson School

So, today I want to share with you some pictures that I took of The Thomas Jefferson School in Chile. Like I said before, I am teaching 5th and 6th grade Math while I am here. It is a little different, because I am used to teaching only grades Pre K- 3rd, but I am really enjoying it. Children here are so different than ones in the United States. Each day before class, they say (as a class): "Good morning Miss. Ana, Good morning Miss. Ash-eh-lay". The call female teachers "Miss", and male teachers "Mr".. for example, a student has a question, they raise their hand and say, "Miss...Miss?" Its the cutest thing ever. Also, they are much more respectful towards adults and value school more so than the children in the United States. Today, a child told me, "Miss... you are unforgettable. I told myself, 'I cannot forget Miss. Ash-eh-lay'." It literally MELTED my heart. They love when I teach them in English, and they love even more when I talk to them in Spanish. They teach me new words each day, and we share many laughs after I try to roll my tongue like they do when they speak. It's great, and I continue to try regardless. What is also cool, is that my host sister in in my class, too! Here are some pictures of the outside of the school. I will post pictures of me teaching later... one thing at a time. Enjoy!









The school really is one of a kind. It is a private school that is known for its Bilingual curriculum. It is also gated, with 24 hour security guard, as well as a guard dog. It was founded in 1992, by a man named Gregory (from Wisconsin). We had a welcome dinner and a tour with him on the first day. He is very polite,  smart, and such a hard worker. He told us that we should come back and teach for him. I encourage you to go to the website to learn more about the school. Even though the website is in Spanish, here is a link to the website:

http://www.thomasjefferson.cl/


No comments:

Post a Comment